Friday, June 26, 2009

A common thread.....

So as i sit here late at night on my computer i am doing one of the things that i love most. Searching for new bands, and listening to bands music, and breaking it apart, trying to listen to every intricate part in their masterpieces. If you know me then you know that i love music, and if i could make a living touring, or being involved in music in some way i would. I have blogged a coupe of times in the past about music, but i feel like being a critic tonight, and sharing my opinion like it means anything to people out there reading this (the 5 people who actually have this on their favorites bar) So i am going to list 10 bands that have won over my heart, and my respect. Im not listing them in any order just in the fact that i think these 10 bands are important in music or are amazing artists and people should take time to listen to them. So here we go.

1. The Beatles

Do i have to say anymore..... This band is a band that so many people identify with. They were groud breaking and changed so much about music. They were not afraid to step out of their comfort zone and create new amazing master pieces. They create hooks, and melodies. They captivated the world, and paul mcartney is still able to captivate millions with his talent. They were amazing and i give them my respect.

2. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

I have to admit it has taken me a while to listen to his music, and disect it and for me to get an opinion on his work. My dear friend Sam has shared live performances, and many different songs by him and i must say it has won me over. I mean the man is 60 years old and can still rock out a 3 hour set. If your 25 and you can play a 3 hour set thats amazing, to do that at 60 and with the energy he does it is amazing. His music style is simple but also intricite at the same time. You loose your self in the simplicity of it, and if you step back and listen you realize that there are 10 other instraments, and harmonys going on. Bruce Is an american icon, and is forever in my hall of fame.

3. Dashboard Confessional

One of the bands that i can listen to non stop. If i buy a cd and i cant listen to it from begening to end by dashboard it is a dissapointment....I have never been dissapointed by them. He is an amazing lyrcisit, and has beautiful words, and harmonys in his music. He has an amazing voice, and i capable of so much. I love this band, and will forever be a fan. MTV Unplugged album is the best ever, and really showcases his true ability and talent.

4. Underoath

If you know me then you know that this is my favorite band of all time. I love this band, and i love how they are able to take hard music, and bend it and transform it every time they have a new album. Bands in the hardcore scene are always trying to imitate them, but underoath is so ground breaking with every album it is impossible. Spencers range has increased so much, and aaron has improved dramtically with his vocals. This band is always impressing me, and i will forever listen to them.

5. Joy Electric

This is a band that i hardly listen to at all. My friend Blake Oakley showed me his work, and i could never get into it. I give this band respect because of the sheer ammount of albums he can put out in a year. This man has well over 15 albums out. He can write new music at an amazing rate. Not only is he writing music, but it has depth and substance to it. Everything about his albums is art. Nothing goes un noticied. It is all themed, and all of it is intertwined with each other.

6. Red Hot Chili Pepers

This band is a band that has combined so many different types of music it is unbelieveable. They have made funk, soul, hip hop, and rock into one genre and it sounds amazing. Flea has an unbelievable talent on the bass guitar, john is so amazing on electric. and for a three piece band they can soud so full, and rich it is unbelieveable. There lyrics have hooks, and melodies that can have you listening to their CD for days.

7. Rage Against the Machine

I never listened to them a ton, but now that i have grown older i go back and have started to listen to their stuff. I put them in this list just because of what Tom morello can do on the guitar. He is simply amazing. Also they were able to mesh rap, and rock and roll into a new brand of music that people would try to duplicate for years to come.

8. Johnny Cash

The man in black. Amazing musician, and amazing bad ass. Anyone who records a live album from a prison needs to be in this list with out a doubt. his music was dark, and real. It let everybody see the bad side of someone for once. It seemed real, and not fake. So many bands get up and put on a fake smile but he never did. If he was mad you knew it, and he still performed amazing songs.

9. The Roots

I love this band because they are a hip hop band that has real instraments. There lyrics flow effortlessly. It is so easy to listen too, and there are great hooks in their music. I love listening to the roots, and will always be a fan.

10. Outkast

The album atliens hooked me fromt he start. The first time i heard dre, and big boi's lyrics, and flow on that CD it hooked me. "Cooler than a polor bears toe nail" amazing lyrics like that hooked me, and i will always be a fan of outkast. I wish they were still together, and making amazing music like they used too back in the day.

Well there it is 10 bands that you should listen too. Give them a try and see what you think. You dont have to like it. But at least give it a try.

Godbless

No comments: